Sunday, October 22, 2006

Siamese Fighting Fish

I broke down and got a fish this weekend ...a Siamese Fighting Fish ... or more commonly known as a Betta. Lots of people at work have them on their desk and I like them and had been kicking around the idea of getting fish so Abbie would have something to watch ... yes I contemplated getting my pet a pet :)and a month or so ago Jim got a fish tank and now has tropical fish, and got a few more today ... so it got me thinking about it.

I had to go to Meijer for a few items anyway so I thought I'd cruise through the pet department and look at the Betta's. I found a tank that has a locking lid and came with a plant, gravel, water conditioner, and food for $8 on sale. I figured that's cool and got a betta :)

This is pretty close to what he looks like, he's a male since they are more colorful and have the beautiful fins.

As soon as I got home I got his tank set up and got him into the tank and got some food and let him settle in. Abbie immediately got up to see what was going on and spent the last 2 hours staring at him, I don't think she's even blinked!

I was talking to my Mom and told her about it and she suggested I name him Sushi after the Garfield comic strip today:



It's been a few hours since "Sushi" came home and seems to be swimming happily in his new digs ... much much larger and nicer than the container he was in I may add. I've only had to have the "Don't pet the fish or the tank" and "Fish are Friends, not food" talk with Abbie once *wink*

I feel the need to watch Finding Nemo though now .... *lol*

1 comment:

agent713 said...

I've had a few betta's over the years. They are good pets :)
~Heidi