Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Keith Urban concert review, according to the newspaper

I haven't had a chance to develop my film yet from Saturday's totally awesome and sold out concert but I am going to try and drop it off tomorrow if the weather doesn't get as nasty as they are saying.
This is a review that was in the Lansing State Journal about the concert ... my review will be posted as soon as I have pictures :)

Review: Urban electrifies sold-out crowd at Breslin


By Anne Erickson
Lansing State Journal


Fresh off a Grammy win for best male country vocal performance, Keith Urban played his pop-infused country to a sold-out crowd of 9,800 at the Bres-lin Center on Saturday.

It was the only Michigan date on Urban's current U.S. tour. (makes me so happy I went!)

Urban's appeal is massive, rivaling Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney in country popularity.


But he's not just a country boy. Urban's hit "You'll Think of Me" earned him fans from across the musical spectrum. The quiet vig-nette is piped out of adult contemporary and Top 40 stations. It's one of country's biggest crossovers to boot.

Sporting a casual, fitted, blue-gray T-shirt and jeans, the New Zealander opened with the spirited "Days Go By," showcasing slippery vocals and fun-loving charm. He played Urban favorites, such as "Where the Blacktop Ends" off 1999's self-titled disc and "You're My Better Half" from 2004's "Be Here."

Urban's talent is undeniable - not just his warm, mid-ranged vocals, but also those electrifying guitar chops. He tore out one guitar solo after another, howling and scratching on the six-string. "Rainin' on Sunday" was played against blue washed lights, with Urban showing off some '80s-esque guitar wailing.

Joined by a five-piece band, Urban's stage-show was packed with surprises. At one point, Urban picked up the drumsticks and handed the mic over to a few bandmates, who blasted out vocals on a version of Aerosmith's "What It Takes."

Even poised behind the drum kit covering classic rock tunes, there's no doubt Urban is 100 percent country. His twangy vocals tell stories of love and heartbreak in the classic country vein. Urban's sound straddles the line between simple country hooks and phrases, and catchy pop-rock. It's authentic, yet modern.

In the crowd, there were guys donning cowboy hats and girls wearing bubble gum pink "I love Keith" baby tees. There were signs with proclamations of love and silly sentiments ("You are my birthday present. May I join you?").

Urban chatted with the crowd. He even flew over their heads to play an acoustic set, including the hushed "Homespun Love," to the back of the arena.

More Urban highlights included "But for the Grace of God," "Somebody Like You," "These Are the Days." The quintessential heartbreaker "You'll Think of Me" left few dry eyes. His set included a three-song encore, in which Urban put on a green MSU T-shirt.

Urban's sweetie, Nicole Kidman, watched the show from behind the soundboard, disguised in a black baseball cap and black attire.

Country act Pat Green, best known for his country hit "Wave On Wave," opened the show.

2 comments:

agent713 said...

Hmph. I was hoping for the REAL review! PICTURES. I WANT PICTURES. LOL

That's a good write up. I would probably include it in my album somehow. I'm not sure about the "slippery vocals" line though :huh:

~Heidi

Emmy said...

I think I am going to incorporate it into my album

If the *&$#@*&% weather would get nicer I'd have REAL pictures. Stupid Michigan winter >_>